#duraspace IRC Log


IRC Log for 2018-06-20

Timestamps are in GMT/BST.

[6:42] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Looking up your hostname...
[6:42] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Checking Ident
[6:42] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** Found your hostname
[6:42] -wolfe.freenode.net- *** No Ident response
[6:43] * DuraLogBot (~PircBot@webster.duraspace.org) has joined #duraspace
[6:43] * Topic is 'Welcome to DuraSpace IRC. This channel is used for formal meetings and is logged - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/'
[6:43] * Set by tdonohue on Thu Sep 15 17:49:38 UTC 2016
[11:41] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) has joined #duraspace
[12:11] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) has joined #duraspace
[17:20] * dyelar (~dyelar@dyelar.mrb.ku.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[19:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: Reminder that our weekly DSpace DevMtg starts at the top of the hour (~15mins). Rough agenda at https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-06-20
[19:45] <kompewter> [ DevMtg 2018-06-20 - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DevMtg+2018-06-20
[19:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tom_desair> I’m sorry I won’t be able to attend :( but I’ll catch up the logs afterwards! Have a good meeting!
[20:00] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> <here>: Welcome, it's DSpace DevMtg time. Agenda is linked above :point_up:
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Let's do a quick roll call to see who is able to join us today
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> here
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> here
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <jcreel256> hello
[20:01] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> here
[20:02] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Nice to see you all here today. We'll go ahead and dive in. Most of the meeting I'd like to concentrate on getting 6.3 out the door, but I'll give a few brief updates
[20:03] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> First, I'll just note that the DSpace 7 team meets tomorrow at 14:00UTC. Also a reminder to sign up for our next Community Sprint (July 9-20) https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[20:03] <kompewter> [ DSpace 7 Community Sprints - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+7+Community+Sprints
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> The next Dev Show & Tell is next week, Tues, June 26. We'll be giving updates from OR2018, and Q&A based on that. https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+June+26%2C+2018+-+1500UTC+-+OR+2018+Recap
[20:04] <kompewter> [ Dev Show and Tell - June 26, 2018 - 1500UTC - OR 2018 Recap - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Dev+Show+and+Tell+-+June+26%2C+2018+-+1500UTC+-+OR+2018+Recap
[20:04] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I'll have to skip this sprint. We have an ILS migration happening during the sprint
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I hope to make improvements to the rest tutorial documentation prior to the sprint
[20:05] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> DSpace 7 Entities were announced both at OR2018, and via this Steering announcement: https://duraspace.org/statement-from-dspace-steering-group-on-the-dspace-7-data-model/ There will be a new iteration of a DSpace 7 Entities Working Group (concentrating on implementing entities in the DSpace 7 codebase). That group has not yet been created, but expect public calls for participation soon (next week or so, I
[20:05] <kompewter> [ Statement from DSpace Steering Group on the DSpace 7 Data Model - Duraspace.org ] - https://duraspace.org/statement-from-dspace-steering-group-on-the-dspace-7-data-model/
[20:06] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think that's it for the quick updates.... unless anyone here has other updates to share and/or questions/comments (on anything I've noted)?
[20:07] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, not hearing any...let's move on to getting 6.3 (and 5.9, etc) out the door!
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I think (@kshepherd can correct me), the main things left "to do" at this point are the handful of tickets still open under the 6.3 milestone: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3
[20:08] <kompewter> [ Pull Requests · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A6.3
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> There are a few more that have been added to that milestone (other backports / very minor fixes)
[20:08] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yeh the list is longer than it was last time i checked :P
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i've just merged that ehcache revert/fix now
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> aha, good!
[20:09] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, maybe we should review the three listed here, make sure we agree they are "good for 6.3" and then make a plan for getting them either merged or rescheduled?
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok
[20:10] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @mwood has added https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2082 - fixing/changing some dependency versions in poms, ported from master
[20:10] <kompewter> [ [DS-3795] Manage versions of some buggy transitive dependencies. by mwoodiupui · Pull Request #2082 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2082
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I think that port was requested for 6.3. I see I have some more work to do on it.
[20:11] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, and I asked a question on this one. I wasn't sure what master PR it was backporting (it might be https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2032)
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @mwood: Not sure if more work is needed, but I just didn't know what to compare it to. You linked it back to a very generic "let's update dependencies" ticket that has loads of PRs associated with it ;)
[20:12] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> I'll clarify that.
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> And, I guess another question...since this is "last minute" are there quick tests we should be performing in 6.x to ensure these dependency changes "work right"?
[20:13] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> since it touches jackson xml stuff i'd say testing XOAI and legacy REST would be good
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok. Do we have someone interested in helping test this out then? Just want to see if we can get this "assigned"
[20:14] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I can test the REST stuff.
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @terrywbrady
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> It looks like I already did
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> Is a new test needed?
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @terrywbrady: we're talking about https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2082 (the port to 6.x)..which I think is untested
[20:15] <kompewter> [ [DS-3795] Manage versions of some buggy transitive dependencies. by mwoodiupui · Pull Request #2082 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2082
[20:15] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i'll do some xoai testing
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> OK. I was looking at the wrong one.
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, it's really just a verification that this port to 6.x works right too. It likely *should*
[20:16] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thanks @kshepherd!
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok next one
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2080
[20:17] <kompewter> [ DS-3930 Remove extra space by AndrewZWood · Pull Request #2080 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2080
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> that's obvious, merging now
[20:17] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, I thought this was really really obvious
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> cool
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> Marked as such.
[20:18] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ta, so that just leaves the S3 one: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1999
[20:18] <kompewter> [ DS-3870 S3 bitstore leaves connections to AWS open by benbosman · Pull Request #1999 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/1999
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> one +1 already, i guess we just need to be confident this doesn't break anything since we're unlikely to be testing with AWS ourselves
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I gave the S3 one a code review (which requires opening up the entire file to see the whole context of the changes...it's hard to code review just the `diff`). I think it looks good, but I didn't test it.
[20:19] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I described the logic that I saw in the code review in my approval comment
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I will note that the code changes itself have *nothing* to do with S3 actually. It's all changes to the logic of how XMLUI lets you download bitstreams... and specifically blocking spiders that try and redownload a bitstream that hasn't changed
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yeh i think that's what confused me when i was first reviewing it
[20:21] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, hypothetically, it seems like it should be testable via the XMLUI. The spider logic might be harder, but as long as downloads work, the logic changes seem OK to me
[20:22] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok well if i test that later today then and it seems ok, i'll go ahead and merge. i've got the expanded diff here with all lines too so that'll help me follow the code
[20:24] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @kshepherd: That sounds fine to me. FWIW, I can *believe* this does relate to S3...as if something kicks off a download and then *cancels*, it's possible the connection to S3 may still be left open. My best guess is this new logic is to try and simply avoid that by sending Spiders a simple 304 Not Modified response instead of streaming the unchanged bitstream
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, I think we likely should trust this...and merge as long as it doesn't affect the normal download process (and that's doubtful to me). Thanks, @kshepherd for volunteeering to test
[20:25] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok, so that's our plan for these last remaining 6.3 milestones. in terms of 4.x and 5.x, there's just a couple of backports to do / test, i think, then they should be ready
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yep, I did add a new 5.x backport just today: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2094
[20:26] <kompewter> [ DS-950: OAI should respect metadata.hidden... config properties. by tdonohue · Pull Request #2094 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2094
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> do we need to check up on dspace-api-lang / dspace-xmlui-lang PRs to get any i18n improvements merged before a release?
[20:26] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> This is a backport of a fix to OAI that would be useful per the new GDPR regulations
[20:27] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yep i'll test #2094, sure it's fine, and agree we could probably leave out of 4.9 if it's too tricky
[20:28] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Yes, backporting that same fix to 4.9 was way to tricky. It snowballed rapidly....mostly cause XOAI in 4.x doesn't use Context obj much (as a method param). Whereas XOAI in 5.x *does* (most of the time). And this fix requires a Context obj in a Util class (which is triggered all over the place)
[20:29] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> right
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> As for Lang Packs...I don't see them as high priority. It'd be nice to review and merge any that seem reasonable, but I'm more concerned with just getting everything else wrapped up and out the door.
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, If someone is willing to do Lang Pack reviews, great. But, I'm not sure I have time for that...but I do have time to chip in on the releases themselves & announcements
[20:30] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> well once we have these last backports/merges, i just need to update release notes / announcement and then i things are ready
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i was thinking i could do the sonatype release of 4.9 earlier than the others, that'll let me get used to the process again and ensure all my permissions are good (they are from what i've seen / checked)
[20:32] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i could probably use a few eyes on my release notes, and i'll have to make 4.9 and 5.9 versions too unless someone else wants to do that?
[20:33] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @kshepherd: I can review the release notes. That's been on my TODO, and I keep forgetting. Send me a link and I'll do it.
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @kshepherd: And, regarding releases...a small "warning". Releasing 4.x or 5.x still seems to *require* doing so via *Java 7* (yes, 7). I've yet to find a way around that: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure#ReleaseProcedure-JavaVersion
[20:34] <kompewter> [ Release Procedure - DSpace - DuraSpace Wiki ] - https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Release+Procedure#ReleaseProcedure-JavaVersion
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> cool, thanks
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If you cannot find Java 7 (which is a pain to come by these days), I think I still have it sitting around on a VM (for this purpose).
[20:34] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> oh, bother :S (re java versions)... i remember freaking out when i saw that earlier but then realised i didn't have to worry about it for 6.3
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> If you want to concentrate more on 6.3, I could cut 5.x and 4.x. I've been through this pain, and I think I know how to get through it again ;)
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> well if it's easier for you to release those versions, and you can help out with that, that's fine, i was just thinking i could use the other versions as a 'practice' sonatype release.. though i'm sure it'll be fine
[20:35] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yeh ok, that sounds like it'll be better for all concerned ;)
[20:36] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> You can "practice" via the 6.x lang packs. Those can be released anytime prior to 6.3. So, you could release a new version of them today/tomorrow if you wanted
[20:37] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> There have been new lang packs changes merged since 6.2 came out...so we should release lang packs again anyhow
[20:38] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> @mwood, I just added a question in https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2082
[20:38] <kompewter> [ [DS-3795] Manage versions of some buggy transitive dependencies. by mwoodiupui · Pull Request #2082 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2082
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> So, it sounds like we have a general plan here. Do we want to set a new date for these releases? I'd rather us get these out the door in the next week, if possible. But, I don't want to speak for everyone.
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yeh that question was asked on https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2032 too
[20:39] <kompewter> [ [DS-3795] Update jackson-databind due to known vulnerabilities. by mwoodiupui · Pull Request #2032 · DSpace/DSpace · GitHub ] - https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/pull/2032
[20:39] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> For now I left an answer on the PR.
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> thanks
[20:40] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> @tdonohue i'd rather get them out this week too, but i've had to retract / postpone so many release dates already, i'd rather just work with you on releases and once they're in sonatype, then start with announcements etc?
[20:41] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> if i can get my testing / backporting done today (and others is done) i should be ready for cutting a release on my saturday (your friday), or the days following that. my friday is a bit busy
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> i could stay up late or get up early on one night so that you USAians are awake too
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> I will do my testing after lunch
[20:42] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> (a late lunch today)
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I think it's OK if we release these on separate days...just need to announce them together. So, I suspect I could do 4.9 tomorrow (Friday at latest). 5.9 can follow (as soon as final PR is merged).
[20:43] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> I can also start reviewing/tweaking release announcement tomorrow & Friday. Maybe we aim to get this all released this week and announcement goes out on Monday?
[20:44] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> ok sounds good
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> @kshepherd: if you & I want to touch base (even almost daily) that's cool. It might be via email at times since I think we have little "work day" overlap these days. But, I honestly feel we are 90% there, and we have 10% left. If we "miss" Monday, we can surely get everything out on Tuesday.
[20:45] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> yep will do, thanks
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Thank you as well! And thanks everyone else for helping us get through these final PRs...hopefully we can get them all merged ASAP
[20:46] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> That all said, do we have any other agenda topics / comments / questions for today? I think that wraps up our formal agenda
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <tdonohue> Ok, not hearing anything. You all get ~12 minutes back in your day. Or, heck, use it to help us get these releases out the door ;) That's it for today's meeting. Thanks all!
[20:48] <DSpaceSlackBot> <kshepherd> cheers all
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <mwood> 'bye all.
[20:49] <DSpaceSlackBot> <terrywbrady> have a good week
[21:12] * mhwood (~mhwood@mhw.ulib.iupui.edu) Quit (Remote host closed the connection)
[21:45] * tdonohue (~tdonohue@dspace/tdonohue) Quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)

These logs were automatically created by DuraLogBot on irc.freenode.net using the Java IRC LogBot.